Monday 5 April 2010

TERM 4- Introduction to Acting

I started term 4 last week and am pretty much half way through the Program, and loving it. This term , we're being introduced to Acting in Animation.
I got Jamy Wheless as my Mentor this term.
Jamy graduated from Auburn University in 1987,and then worked as a freelance illustrator in Atlanta, GA, storyboarding and creating traditional animation.
In 1995, he caught the eye of George Lucas' Industrial Light & Magic when his short film, 'Avery', premiered at SIGGRAPH.In 2000, Jamy became a member of ILM's feature production team, where he ultimately became responsible for the character development and performance of Yoda for the Star Wars prequels and Davy Jones for the Pirates of the Caribbean films.He is currently president of Lightstream Animation Studios in Petaluma, CA.(http://www.lightstreampictures.com/about/#jamy)
WOW ! Something tells me, this term is going to be Bags of fun!
The last week, we started with thinking of ideas for a 10 second PantoMime Shot. I thought of about 6 different ideas and finally stuck to the one I really think works and the one that looks pretty simple but might have a lot of scope for acting in it.
As a part of this 1st assignment, we also had to film ourselves, acting the idea out, which I wouldn't put up here, since I am way too embarrassed to do that ! So you'd have to spare me on that one! I find it the hardest to ignore the camera and act ! And because we've been subjected to exercises like this, I have learnt to appreciate the jobs of Live action actors a lot more! Trust me, it doesn't come easy,... well it doesn't come to me at all ! LOL
Anyway! Back to The idea then :)
Stewie (Our character) is in a China Shop. He picks up an ornament from the shelf, and looks around cautiously to check if no one is looking. He then places the ornament ever so carefully back on the shelf and turns around to now face the camera.
Just then, the shelf comes tumbling down, breaking everything that comes in its path. Stewie, has a sense of surprise and shock on his face on hearing the sound (He is still facing the camera) his posture goes from a slouch to an Upright stance, and eyes closed on hearing the crash !
The camera reveals words behind him ,... on the wall that read " DO NO TOUCH- WEAK SHELF" , (the words were apparently hidden by the objects on the shelf)
---------------------------------------
Some really rough thumbnails :

I'm off to blocking the key poses and breakdowns on Stewie in Maya this week then! THIS is where the fun begins! :) Eagerly waiting on the Critique from My mentor this week on the idea and the video reference that I handed in last week. I hope I can get to know what he thinks about my idea,.. sooner this week.
I might or might not post the shot up here yet, on the blocking this week 'cuz it is bound to look a bit to naive and boring. But We'll see ! We finish this shot by week 5 but I promise to keep talking before and upload progress on this one soon in the coming weeks :)

Till then U guys have fun
Blogging out for now! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment